This site partly reflects my ongoing personal golfing journey, the challenges encountered and sometimes overcame along the way. It sometimes seems an almost insatiable search, hoping to find a “secret”, or a “hidden key” that will unlock the door to sustained incremental improvement.
I have now come to accept what I knew to be true but refused to acknowledge all along- that there are no short-cuts.
There are fundamental underlying truths, however, that run through the works of all the greats on the subject of golf practice, mastery, learning and performance:
- the holistic approach of Vision54 founders Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson
- the bulk 10,000 hours approach of Malcolm Gladwell in “Outliers” and Daniel Coyle in “The Talent Code”
- the basic fundamental mastery approaches of George Leonard’s “Mastery” and Josh Waitzkin’s “The Art of Learning”
- the physical scientific approach best exemplified by the Titleist Performance Institute and golf technology manufacturers like Trackman
- the mental approach exemplified by the likes of Bob Rotella
- the random block methods used by sports coaches
- the historic and almost mystical approaches of the great legends like Ben Hogan, Moe Norman.
What works best for you? The answer depends on your goals, what you respond to and your motivation. Take what you need.